Blog PostChange Management
An architect of decay?

‘He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.’ Harold Wilson

When change happens, the usual response from human nature is resistance.

Why does that happen? It could be down to any number of reasons, from fear of the unknown to a mindset of ‘this is how we have always done it’.

Below are three areas of resistance to change that we have encountered when delivering effective projects and change in organisations, and some insight into how we have responded and approached the situation:

People

Delivering effective change and successful projects impacts and involves people. The impact on people can be through process, technology, office location or role change. You can implement efficient processes and cutting-edge technology, and redefine your products and services, but if your people aren’t with you on the journey then you are wasting your time. When change is in the atmosphere responses such as fear, resistance, doubt and trust issues can, and usually will, surface from people. Focus on involving people whilst delivering change. Ask for input, get ideas, get them excited and get them involved in delivering the change themselves.

Communication

Avoid fear of the unknown by making things known. Communicate and communicate well. Use the right tools and, more importantly, communicate the right message. Regular communication is key to breaking down the resistance to change; people react positively when they are aware of what is happening and why it is happening.

Culture

The culture of an organisation influences the success of change. Creating a culture that operates in an inclusive manner with its people and that communicates regularly, openly and well is a fantastic culture to aim for. It is not an easy journey and it doesn’t happen overnight but the benefits are significant.

Involve people

Communicate well

Create an inclusive culture

Enjoy the process

More change management articles

Blog Post
Lead better with clarity and transparency

A guest blog from Rudi Le Roux, COO, Investec Bank (CI) Limited. Leadership, as a topic, covers a very wide area of research and ideas. We are still trying to define what leadership actually is. I’m not going to define leadership for you, as I believe that the definition of leadership is specific to you […]

Blog Post
Making change stick

Whether the catalyst is new technology or a global crisis that has reshaped an industry, the need for major change in the past decade has been unavoidable for organisations. The pace of change has accelerated, its scale has amplified and its complexity has intensified Restructuring, cost reductions, post-acquisition integration, geographic expansion, new product or service deployments […]

Blog Post
An architect of decay?

‘He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.’ Harold Wilson When change happens, the usual response from human nature is resistance. Why does that happen? It could be down to any number of reasons, from fear of the unknown to a mindset of ‘this […]

Blog Post
Quotes on change

Organisations must embrace change and adapt to the ‘new normal’ of constant change. The pervasiveness of advancing technology is one of the key drivers of intense levels of change, requiring businesses to adapt and evolve. Levels of uncertainty and change are at an all-time high. The force of this change on businesses causes the requirement […]

Blog Post
Closing the change gap

A study carried out by IBM in 2009 on ‘Making Change Work’ included the results of a survey from 1,500 Change Practitioners worldwide, and the results were staggering. Just 41% of projects were considered successful in meeting project objectives within planned time, budget and quality constraints The remaining 59% of projects missed at least one objective or […]

Blog Post
Leadership tips

There are many articles out there about leadership that claim they have ‘the top five’ or ‘the best’ leadership tips. At CBO we’re not claiming that we have the top five or the best ever tips on leadership, we simply have tips and approaches that have been successful in our experience and have become part […]

Fancy a chat? Get in touch with CBO today to discuss how we can help