The role of the Project Management Office (PMO) and Project Portfolio Management (PPM) within organisations continues to be an area where increased maturity in practices leads to better alignment and delivery of strategic goals.
We often see common challenges across organisations.
- Overwhelming demand for projects
- No framework for managing demand
- No framework for prioritisation
- Insufficient resource oversight
- Projects often stall or deliver slowly
- Resource bottlenecks
- No benefit management framework
This can lead to questions about the need for a Project Management Office and Project Portfolio Management capabilities.
CBO have designed and implemented a number of Project Management Offices and Project Portfolio Management functions for both private and public sector organisations.
Designed and implemented well a PMO and PPM function should:
- provide functionality and capabilities to coordinate all change across an organisation.
- provide the capabilities for the most efficient use of resources and the best alignment with business strategy.
- act as best-practice advisor on all aspects of project management from the birth of ideas through to successful delivery.
- ensure consistent standards are in place for all change activity.
- ensure effective controls and reporting is in place to provide leadership and senior executives with up to date information to support informed decisions.
- provide a top down, Portfolio view of all project activity for leadership and senior executives.
At CBO we also have experience of ensuring organisations identify and implement the appropriate PMO or PPM tool to support the corporate function.
Organisations benefit not only from our experience but also from our independence and market knowledge.